Your surgical consultation is an excellent opportunity to learn more about your desired procedure, establish realistic goals and receive pre- and post-operative instructions. Our team at Plastic Surgery Group of New Jersey will take the time to answer all of your questions so you feel comfortable and informed proceeding with surgery.
We have compiled a comprehensive list of topics to cover and questions to ask during your plastic surgery consultation. Feel free to print this out and take it with you to your appointment!
Your Surgeon’s Qualifications
- Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery?
- What is your medical background and training?
- Are you a member of any professional organizations (e.g., American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery)?
- How long have you been in practice?
- How long have you worked with your current team?
- Where will my procedure be performed?
- Is the surgical facility accredited?
- What type of anesthesia will be used?
- Who administers anesthesia?
- What are the risks of surgery?
- How do you handle complications that arise?
- What surgical techniques do you plan to use?
- How much will surgery cost?
Goals of Surgery
- What type of results are typical of this surgery?
- May I see some before-and-after photographs of previous patients?
- Are my expectations of surgery reasonable?
- What is your policy on revision surgery (if needed)?
How to Prepare for the Day of Surgery
- What should I do in the days/weeks leading up to surgery?
- What medications should I avoid when preparing for surgery?
- Is smoking OK?
- What arrangements can I make for my day of surgery and immediate recovery?
- What time should I arrive at the surgical facility?
- What should I wear to surgery?
- Can I eat or drink on the morning of surgery?
- How soon after my procedure will I be released to go home?
Recovery and Aftercare
- How long will my recovery take?
- When should I schedule a follow-up visit?
- How should I care for my incisions?
- Will I have surgical drains?
- How soon after surgery can I shower?
- When can I resume driving?
- When can I resume exercise?
- When can I go back to work?
- Who should I call if I have a question?
Long-Term Results and Maintenance
- How often will I need to return for a follow-up visit?
- When will I see my full results of surgery?
- How can I best maintain my results?
Contact Us Today
To schedule a consultation with our team, please call the Plastic Surgery Group at (973) 233-1933 or send us an email.