We all know that facial plastic surgery can change the way someone feels about themselves, but can it also change how others feel about that person? A new study says yes. Researchers from Georgetown University found women who underwent certain facial plastic surgery procedures were rated as more likable, attractive and feminine by strangers.
What the Study Found
Researchers set out to find just how much personality perception changes after someone undergoes facial plastic surgery. A total of 170 people were shown the before and after photos of 30 women who had one or more of the following procedures: facelift, eyebrow lift, neck lift, upper and lower eye lift, and chin implant. No reviewer saw both the before and after photo of the same woman and no one knew whether plastic surgery had been performed. They were then asked to rate the photos on eight traits: aggressiveness, extroversion, likeability, trustworthiness, risk-seeking, social skills, attractiveness and femininity. The results found plastic surgery had a positive impact on how people are perceived by others. Here are some highlights of the findings:
- Photos of women with facial plastic surgery were rated significantly higher for likeability, social skills, attractiveness and femininity.
- Photos of women who underwent facelift or lower eye lift were rated highest.
- Women who underwent facelift surgery scored highest in likeability.
Our Facial Plastic Surgery Procedures
Researchers believe first impressions are heavily based on a person’s facial features. For example, someone with a furrowed brow may be perceived to be displeased or upset. Researchers also believe a person looks happier when the contours of the face are lifted, and as a result, may be judged to be likable and approachable.
The Plastic Surgery Group offers the facial procedures mentioned in the study above as well as other procedures for people who are looking to rejuvenate and improve their facial features.
- Facelift raises the contours of the face by eliminating excess skin. It also rejuvenates the face by tightening skin and removing wrinkles. The Plastic Surgery Group offers several approaches to facelift surgery depending on the needs and goals of each patient.
- Chin surgery reshapes the chin area with either an implantable prosthetic or liposuction and brings a more balanced look to facial features.
- Neck lift improves signs of aging around the jawline and neck by removing loose, excess fat and skin.
- Eyelid surgery restores youth to the area around the eyes by eliminating sagging skin on the upper and lower eyelids.
- Forehead lift smoothens the lines formed across the forehead, restoring a smooth, youthful look to the face.
- Rhinoplasty can improve the size and shape of the nose, providing balance to the rest of the person’s facial features.
The Plastic Surgery Group proudly serves New Jersey and New York City and can help you boost your confidence with a more youthful, beautiful look. Schedule a one-on-one consultation with one of our highly trained plastic surgeons today by calling (973) 233-1933.